Welcome to Yangon Academy International School
We believe that within these pages you will be convinced that Yangon Academy offers one of the best value, American-based, educational programs in Myanmar. We are able to maintain and extend our high quality and extensive academic and co-curricular programs, while keeping tuition rates reasonable. Our teachers are experienced and well trained. And, of course, our students are hard-working, polite, and respectful to each other, to all adults, and to valued Myanmar cultural ideals. Come join us as we continue to grow and prosper. Ad astra! To the stars!
Who We Are
Yangon Academy is a privately-held, Pre-Nursery through Grade 12 international school, where the language of instruction occurs in English. Myanmar language are also offered from Kindergarten to Grade 10. All grade level and core secondary staff are credentialed and experienced teachers, mainly from the United States and Canada. The elementary teachers are joined by English speaking Myanmar teaching assistants. Our first graduating class of Seniors proudly completed their education at Yangon Academy in June of 2014.
Vision and Mission
- Vision: Yangon Academy empowers each student to reach their full potential.
- Mission: Yangon Academy is a dynamic international school that provides a challenging K-12, American-based education which prepares our students for excellence in university and life. Our community inspires students to love learning and to contribute positively within a diverse and ever-changing world.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
- Listens respectfully and asks questions to facilitate understanding
- Presents information and ideas clearly and honestly with sensitivity to others
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively communicate in multiple ways; e.g., speaking, writing, artistic/musical expression, kinesthetic/movement, mathematical/logical, interpersonal/social, intrapersonal/reflective, media/technology
- Use appropriate technology as a tool to convey ideas
- Creates, adapts and evaluates new ideas in the light of the common good
- Thinks reflectively and creatively to evaluate and solve problems
- Achieves excellence, originality and integrity in one’s own work
- Recognizes and solves problems using various strategies appropriate to the situation or issue
- Analyzes and employs the arts, media and technology to enhance the quality of life
- Participates in leisure and fitness activities for a balanced and healthy lifestyle
- Supports the health and safety of self and others
- Demonstrates a robust sense of physical and emotional happiness
- Demonstrates the skills of effective collaboration to achieve personal and group goals
- Collaborates meaningfully, supportively, and efficiently on teams
- Demonstrates leadership through collaboration and teamwork
- Understands that each member of a team plays an essential role, and all roles are interdependent
- Demonstrates a positive sense of respect for the dignity and welfare of others
- Acts ethically, taking responsibility for one’s own actions
- Values and honors the role of family in society
- Embraces awareness and respect for the rights of others, both locally and globally
- Respects and affirms the diversity and interdependence of the world’s peoples and cultures
- Demonstrates care and concern for the environment and community
- Uses resources wisely
- Demonstrates attributes of passion, curiosity and inquiry
- Continually develops one’s given potential
- Takes risks to imagine and innovate
- Accepts responsibility for learning
History of the School
Yangon Academy (YA) has grown substantially from its early roots in 2004 when it opened, serving at that time pre-school children from ages two to five. The shareholders recognized the growing need for an elementary school which could provide affordable, high quality education to families in the Yangon neighborhood. Thereafter, the school grew a grade level a year, until now, where Yangon Academy can accept students from Pre-Nursery through High School in Grade 12.